An article from

'The Topographical, Statistical, and Historical Gazetteer of Scotland'

Published by A.Fullarton and Co. - 1848

St.Quivox

QUIVOX (ST.), a parish in Kyle, Ayrshire; bounded on the north by Monkton and Tarbolton; on the east by Tarbolton; on the south by the river Ayr, which divides it from Ayr parish; and on the west by Newton-upon-Ayr and Prestwick. Its greatest length from east to west is 5 miles; its greatest breadth is 3 miles; and its area is about 4,000 acres. The surface in the west and centre is level, and in the east is somewhat swollen and tumulated. Some parts of the bank of the river Ayr are steep, and covered with natural wood and plantation. The soil in the west is sandy, in the centre is light and gravelly on an irretentive subsoil, and, in the east border, is a stiff clay. The whole area, except what is covered by town and detached houses, and about 250 acres covered with wood, is arable, and well-enclosed with ditches and hedge-rows. Husbandry and the dairy flourish, and are conducted with skill. A five years' rotation, comprehending two of grain, one of esculent roots, one of artificial grass, and one of pasture, is common; and the Ayrshire breed of cattle is preferred, not only for the dairy, but for the shambles. The coal-field of Ayrshire, with its characteristic interior and superincumbent strata, underlies the whole area. Three coal-mines and several quarries of prime building-sandstone are worked. Craigie, in the vicinity of Ayr, and the seat of Mr. Campbell, and Auchencruive, in the eastern district, and now the seat of Sir. Oswald, the representative of Glasgow in the present and in former parliaments, are both situated on the picturesque banks of the Ayr, and are spacious and elegant mansions. The gardens and grounds of Auchencruive, in particular, are highly embellished and ornate, and form a powerful attraction to tour¬ists and to the citizens of Ayr. Wallacetown and Content [see WALLACETOWN] form jointly a large suburb of Ayr, and lie compactly or continuously with the burgh of Newton-upon-Ayr. The only other village is WHITELETS : which see. The parish is traversed by the roads from Ayr to respectively Galston and Mauchline; and has a complement of other roads. Population, in 1801, 2,070; in 1831, 5,289. Houses 692. Assessed property, in 1815, £7,832 St. Quivox is in the presbytery of Ayr, and synod of Glasgow and Ayr. Patron, Oswald of Auchencruive. Stipend £276 1s. 9d.; glebe £8. Unappropriated teinds £334 18s. 8d. The parish-church—situated in the centre of the parish—was built before the Reformation, and altered and somewhat enlarged in 1834. Sittings 450. The town-district of Wallacetown, with then 4,199 inhabitants, and 7 places of worship, was, in 1836, erected into a separate quoad sacra parish. The population of St. Quivox, quoad civilia, in 1836, was, according to the statement of the minister, 5,407, leaving to it, quoad sacra, or after the deduction of the Wallace-town population, only 1,208, —of whom 999 were churchmen, and 209 dissenters. There are two Sabbath-schools respectively at the church and at Whitelets. Parochial-schoolmaster's salary £30, with 8 bolls of meal, £15 fees, and from £10 to £15 other emoluments. In 1834 there were 7 non-parochial schools, conducted by 8 teachers, and attended by 551 scholars. —The ancient church was originally, and for centuries, called Sanchar, the antique form of the modernized Sanquhar, from the Gaelic sean caer, 'the old fort.' In 1212 it was a rectory; between 1229 and 1238 it belonged to the short-lived Gilbertine convent, which the second Walter, the Stewart, established at Dalmulin; and from 1238, till the Reformation, it belonged to the monks of Paisley. Though Sanchar continued to be the name of the several estates which were portions of the ancient territory or manor, the church, at the Reformation, looks out under the designation of St. Kevoc. This name, which is quite unknown in hagiology, and looks very like a quiz of the un¬housed and splenetic monks, has undergone the suc¬cessive transmutations of St. Kevocke's, St. Keevox, St. Queevox, and St. Quivox.  

 

 

 

 

Notice: Undefined index: manage in C:\xampp\htdocs\ntsayrshire\Gazatteer\QuivoxSt.html on line 150